Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Studying is Boring

I've been studying my butt off for the last year or so -- mainly for the CCNP certification. If you don't know what that is don't worry -- most of the world doesn't know either. Today I just couldn't muster the strength to jump in with my normal enthusiam. This lack of motivation concerned me so I went introspective to figure it out. It didn't take much thought to discover the source of my frustration -- too much studying isn't fun. I want to study magaritas, the beach, and a long week doing nothing but fishing and swimming. I want to go anywhere -- but preferrably someplace sunny and beautiful like Cancun or Hawaii. I need a vacation like a sponge needs water.
What do you take with you in the end? Your degrees and certifications, or your relationships? If you beleive in the Christian philosophy, then the only thing that you take with you will be your friends and family. If you opt for a more secural mindset, then the tenets of basic humanism reveal that by far the most important element to a happy life is loving relationships with one another.
So either way, I think the moral here is to take a break, slow down, and enjoy life. Put people first and don't worry so much about the material things.
The average American works all their life just to spend their twilight years in a perpetual vacation. That means years of relational neglect and wasted youthful energy. I think Americans, myself included, should start to value fun and recreation more. I guess it comes down to the old saying, "Work Hard, Play Hard" I've just been working hard. Hmmm....maybe I'll buy a boat...

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I think it is a certainty you will have a boat someday. Maybe we can enjoy it together.

6:02 AM  
Blogger Keith Yates said...

I spent enough of my life hanging around and doing whatever... I say study, which is why I'm signing off to go study my BCMSN testkings now :)

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home